Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Place to Bury Strangers - Exploding Head (2009)


As with many shoegaze/dream pop albums, it isn’t hard to hear some pretty standard pop motifs here, whether they be a guitar riff or melody or vocal hook. The difference, of course, is the hazy guitar sound that turns this into something else altogether. The drums and vocals are very low in the mix so you hear the wailing guitars, and what drums and vocals there are seem to be coming up from beneath something chaotic. This chaos is an illusion though, because if you listen close, which you should be if you decide you like this, you’ll hear that this isn’t very well disguised pop music. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but when you take away the haze, you might think you’re hearing a Cure cover band, so those guitars really are necessary. Overall, this is pretty good, but I find that it’s better background music when I’m in the mood for something a bit challenging and abstract. It is being a bit overhyped, but I’ve given it a fair amount of time, and it is a solid release, I think. (Record label won't let me share this with you)

No comments: