Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang (2010)


The Gaslight Anthem surprised me. How could anyone follow such a great record as The 59 Sound? I figured they would either try too hard to rewrite that album, or else try to hard to make something different. Instead they focused on songwriting. The melodies are terrific, vocally and instrumentally. There are some really satisfying guitar melodies, such as on “Stay Lucky.” What made their last two albums especially great was the genuine conviction in Brian Fallon’s voice. He sounds like he means every word with every fiber of his being, and it’s hard not to appreciate that. Also the humble, almost folky, aesthetic made them so likable. The 59 Sound was a warm, friendly album, and so is this new one. It took a few listens to grow on me, and I don’t think it’s quite as gripping their last one but that’s probably just because they were a new, lesser-known band then. Now, with higher expectations comes a greater potential for disappointment, but after spending time with this album, there really isn’t anything I dislike. Sometimes it sounds a lot like Bruce Springsteen, but I can live with that.

Link in comments

1 comment:

Max said...

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?iekezmftqem