Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Hello

Let's get this going again. I've grown disenchanted with the wordpress blog. In my absence, this blog has gained a modest followership and I was always more comfortable with this blog anyway. Wordpress has some nice features in terms of formatting and such, but I just feel like a blog strictly about reviews has to be more formal than I want it to be. I just don't enjoy wordpress. It's about the feel of it. What can I say?

When posting links, I'm going to leave out the mediafire part. Just go to mediafire and add the part of the links I put in the comments to the URL.

I will maintain the other blog and probably just copy and paste my reviews into it. That way, I can direct anyone there if I ever need to provide a writing sample or something.



While it may not be necessary, a quick word on what I'm into and what I'm likely to post. I want this to be very diverse because I'm into pretty much everything. It will all most likely be grounded in rock music.

I'm into punk and many of its subgenres. This includes classic punk bands (Ramones, The Clash, Social Distortion), some pop-punk (Green Day, Alkaline Trio), bands having to do with folk-punk (Against Me!, Andrew Jackson Jihad), post-punk (Sonic Youth, Wire, Jesus Lizard, Les Savy Fav), really any punk genre except ska (but I've found a few ska albums that I don't hate).

I'll post a lot of stuff that falls under the massive umbrella of "indie" including post-rock (Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Grails), indie folk (Iron & Wine, Felice Brothers, Sun Kil Moon), twee (Mates of State, Belle and Sebastian, Camera Obscura), the obvious indie darlings (Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene) and various others that I can't classify with just one easy label (like Built to Spill).

I am into a lot of metal, generally not mainstream metal (like Metallica). I am especially fond of sludge metal from the gritty, dirty stuff (Electric Wizard, Eyehategod) to the more ambient/prog stuff (Pelican, Isis). I like some death metal, though generally not melodic death metal (Death, Aborted, Deicide). There are some other fantastic metal bands that are a hybrid of styles (Mastodon, Opeth, Boris), and I also like some bands that would fall under the hardcore/mathcore label (Converge, Dillinger Escape Plan).

I love early emo bands like Rites of Spring, Moss Icon, Jawbreaker, and even some of the bands who took emo into more indie rock territory like Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas is the Reason.

I also expect to post a lot of stuff that has to do with electronic music to varying degrees (Four Tet, LCD Soundsystem, Holy Fuck). I like shoegaze and dream pop stuff as well, though tend to be rather picky with that type of music. I may post to occasional hip-hop album, although I am extremely selective. The list of hip-hop acts I enjoy is very short, including Mos Def, Jurassic 5, and Jay-Z's first album.

Please do not hesitate to comment on albums I post. Let me know what you thought and I am always receptive to recommendations.

No comments: