Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Alkaline Trio - This Addiction (2010)


I have mixed feelings about this album. Alkaline Trio are a band I have loved since I first heard them 7 years ago. Their first four albums are absolutely perfect in my mind, as are their two b-sides compilations. They combined catchy pop-punk with a macabre sense of humor with a very fun effect. From their fifth album, Crimson (2005), energy was sacrificed when they decided to begin experimenting with keyboards and the punk energy that characterized their early music was all but gone on their sixth album, Agony & Irony (2008), so I was thrilled when I read they wanted to go back to their punk roots on the new album. They didn’t really do that, in fact about half of these songs sound as though they would fit on their underwhelming 2008 album.

First the positive. This is better than Agony & Irony. This is more like their earlier stuff, without actually being like it, if that makes sense. Some of these songs are very catchy, such as “Lead Poison,” “This Addiction,” “Piss and Vinegar,” and “Dead on the Floor” which is a great slower song. Matt Skiba’s voice sounds great. He’s a highly emotive vocalist and I love hearing him sing. The band still sounds good, technically. That means that I won’t regret spending $58 on two tickets to see them live in March. If they play a bunch of old songs, which they usually do, then they will sound pretty much like Alk3 circa 2003. There are no obvious signs of age, wear and tear, or lost enthusiasm. The brass section on “Lead Poison” is a nice touch, and shows that they aren’t complacent with their sound.

There are a few issues I have with this album. First, the lyrics. The band has a great sense of humor, but some of these lyrics are a bit cliché. Second, it sounds more like they were trying to recreate their old sound than an actual revisitation of that sound. They’re playing similar melodies at similar tempos but with a different attitude, so it comes across differently. It just lacks something their early material had. Their melodies had a certain momentum back then they don’t have now. I think they rushed this album, but over a half dozen listens it has started to grow on me. At the end of the day this is a decent album from a band I love. It’s hard to hear musicians who are important to you change, but the change could have been much, much worse. They are still Alkaline Trio, and are still great, and This Addiction is a fine album that doesn’t measure up to their awesome earlier albums.

Link in comments

1 comment:

Max said...

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?l2ztwngnrkj