Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Deer Tick - The Black Dirt Sessions (2010)


Deer Tick’s third album was recorded around the same time as their second, Born on Flag Day (2009). They play a bluesy sort of alternative country with vocals that approach grunge territory. I thought their music that would be more comfortable in some honky-tonk bar than at some large festival in Texas, until I heard this new album. These songs are stripped-down to the bare essentials. Mostly gone is the distorted guitar buzz that drenched the songs on their 2009 release. Gone is the gritty country vibe. The rural elements are still here; you’ll notice plenty of bluesy guitar tones and the vocals still have that country vibe, but these songs sound clear and crisp, the product (or victim?) of impeccable production. These songs just reveal themselves to you very quickly. You can pick up the melodies and the vocals, and just sort of get it. This album is not so much about creating any sort of mood, just about delivering the melodies. I like a lot of these songs, but cant help wishing there was a bit more going on. Deer Tick haven’t exactly disappointed me, but I’m having trouble getting too excited about this new album. If you liked Born on Flag Day, I’d suggest giving this a listen before you buy it. You might miss the overall grittiness, but these songs really aren’t bad.

1 comment:

Max said...

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?dmnqizw0hzi