Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tindersticks - Falling Down a Mountain (2010)


I hear a hint of Radiohead with more of a folk aesthetic and vocals that sound like The National's, which is a recipe for success. These vocals have a pleasant baritone sound. The music, which has a very acoustic feel, sometimes approaching smooth jazz, is quite pleasant and well written. This is an album that creates a distinct mood of melancholy before shifting midway to more rock/pop oriented songwriting. The textured sound continues throughout, however and that is what reminds me of Radiohead circa early 2000s, the melding of melancholic textures, layered effects, and pop/rock elements. The harmonica on “Peanuts” is a very nice touch and shows their attention to detail and mood. “Black Smoke” has nice percussive effects and is the most pop-oriented song; it's accessibility is immediately apparent. I like the flute on “She Rode Me Down” as well. Overall, I like this. I was initially contented by the serenity conveyed by the music before noticing that there's more depth to it. I expect most non-fans to have a similar reaction. Initially this may appear a bit dull, but it grows on you and it is hard to deny that they create some gripping music.

Link in comments

1 comment:

Max said...

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?ik4z1izitkz