Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Autechre - Move of Ten (2010)



Artist/Album:
Autechre—Move of Ten
Totally Subjective Number Rating: 7/10
Recommended if you like: glitchy electronica, ambient electronica, dark ambient
Released By: Warp Records
Favorite Tracks: “Etchogon-S,” “rew(1),” “M62,” “Cep puiqMX”

This is the second album by Autechre to come out this year, the other one being a fine release called Oversteps that I talked about a few months ago. The duo uses analog synthesizers and experiment a lot with different sounds ranging from techno to ambient to hip hop. For me, this is not the sort of thing I encounter very often, even within the electronic stuff I listen to with any regularity. What makes Autechre distinct from most electronic music is that these songs are quite complex and tend to have a dark, mysterious quality to it. That darkness, I attribute to their waves of synth noise that just sort of cascade over each track. I think they used this to excellent effect on Oversteps, which really showed off their ambient side. The beats they use aren’t simple as in a lot of dance music. The first track, “Etchogon-S,” begins with a glitchy beat, the timing of which, I just cant quite put my finger on. When they combine synth notes and beats, it’s often hard to focus on one or the other for very long. Often my attention would be diverted from one rhythm to another and back again numerous times within a song. It gives the illusion that there’s a lot going on.

This thing is being billed as an EP, but at 10 tracks and 47 minutes, it is short only by Autechre’s standards. Oversteps was over an hour long. I quite enjoy what these musicians do, especially the ambient aspect of it. It’s unlike most things I’ve listened to, and I know there’s a niche within the IDM community for this sort of music, but it feels very fresh and unique to me. I like their more abrasive tracks best, such as “Cep puiqMX” (most of their song titles are like that), and wish there was a little more of that on the album, but this “EP” is a wonderful example of just how diverse electronic music can be.

No comments: