Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Friday, November 6, 2009

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion (2009)


I’ve been having trouble keeping up. Anyway, 2009 is almost over and I thought I should post some of the more interesting stuff I’ve heard this year, whether or not I love it. Some really great stuff has come out this year, much more so than last, I thought. Anyway, here’s Animal Collective’s eighth album in nine years and even though half the world seems to be drooling over it, this is quite an impressive album. I guess the main knock on it is that there’s so much going on, and that’s a legitimate complaint. They really want their music to be a challenging listen and there always seems to be a mess of electronics, atmospheric sounds, and other chaos swirling about. Since their early albums, their sound has shifted towards more accessible territory, and Merriweather Post Pavillion is the next logical step for them. If you can get past the unconventional sounds, this is actually very poppy and some of these songs are extremely catchy. Besides just being an adventurous listen, this is also a very satisfying one, and that makes it their best release yet in my mind. LISTEN

No comments: