Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Beck - Modern Guilt (2008)


For his eighth album, Beck's songs are controlled slabs of abrasive guitars, rumbling bass, his deadpan vocal style, all with his standard attitude of plaintive oddity. Except for the closer, "Volcano," which feels like an outlaw country ballad played in an opera house. The thing about Beck is his music sounds like he doesn't really care what you think of it. In a way, it feels as though the human Beck is distanced from the Beck the musician, something that's a bit of a turn off. I don't really consider myself a fan. I do find "Modern Guilt" to be my favorite of his albums though, mainly because it's concise and controlled. He is a talented musician and a talented songwriter, there's just something mysterious about him that his legions of fans must understand and embrace but I don't. Maybe it's that, but thinking too hard on it seems like a waste of time. mediafire

1. Orphans
2. Gamma Ray
3. Chemtrails
4. Modern Guilt
5. Youthless
6. Walls
7. Replica
8. Soul of a Man
9. Profanity Prayers
10. Volcano

No comments: