Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Friday, August 14, 2009

The National - Boxer (2007)


This has become one of my favorite albums of all time. Surprisingly, since the only reason I listened to it in the first place was to see what all the hype was about. These guys deserve it though. They're very humble, and their music is relatively accessible, unlike most indie-rock darlings. I guess what I like most about them is that they create a brooding mood with their dense arrangements and Matt Berningers deep voice. The strings and piano contributes nicely to this. Not only that but the subject matter of the songs is often abstract and meaningful. It's probably pointless to describe this, but for those who don't know, this is a mellow, soothing album that also manages to be somewhat unsettling and keeps my interest throughout. Pitchfork (damn them) actually described this album pretty well. "Like those on their last album, these songs reveal themselves gradually but surely, building to the inevitable moment when they hit you in the gut. It's the rare album that gives back whatever you put into it." That's what this did for me. At first listen it was pleasant, well-written indie pop. After a few more listens I suddenly realized this was something special. For those who've somehow lost their copy: mediafire

No comments: