Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Vitalic - Ok Cowboy (2005)


I had not had a chance to listen to this album until today after seeing a song featured on Pitchfork’s “Best Songs of the 2000s” list. This is an electronic album, I don’t know what kind, my knowledge of electronic styles being very limited. Much of the electronic music I’ve heard, the more acclaimed of it anyway, tends to use a single beat or melody, place ambient sounds and/or samples beneath it, and shift the melody very subtly over the course of 5 minutes or so. It generally requires a lot of attention to catch the nuances. This isn’t your typical hipster-approved electronic “artist.” The melodies change very suddenly, shifting from one really catchy beat to another, the synthesizers and drum machines changing direction at the drop of a hat. It’s so satisfying to hear the changes in each song. “Wooo” is a good example of this. Also, the synth riffs and beats are always very danceable throughout. On my first listen I had to struggle not to shake my head “Night at the Roxbury” style. Anyway, I highly recommend this to folks like myself, who occasionally dabble in electronic music but don’t really know a damn thing about it. mediafire


Also, going to start posting tracklists so it's clear what I'm referring to when I mention song titles.


1. Polkamatic – 1:52
2. Poney Part 1 – 5:22
3. My Friend Dario – 3:37
4. Wooo – 3:52
5. La Rock 01 – 5:25
6. The Past – 4:27
7. No Fun – 3:36
8. Poney Part 2 – 5:12
9. Repair Machines – 3:45
10. Newman – 4:50
11. Trahison – 4:31
12. U and I – 3:39
13. Valletta Fanfares – 2:24

No comments: