Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Mark Kozelek - Lost Verses Live (2009)

I've only listened to this once so far, but it's pretty clear how I feel about it. This is a live album from one of the most talented folk musicians to ever pick up a guitar. Mark Kozelek's work as Sun Kil Moon has yielded three outstanding albums, two of original music, one of Modest Mouse covers. His guitar playing and singing voice seem to define what rural folk music should be, in my opinion. It sounds like the music is coming from somewhere very far away, from a singer surrounded by nature, nothing impure, or artificial. It sounds like his thoughts and feelings came perfectly crafted as the most poetic lyrics possible, delivered in a voice full of emotion. I highly recommend anything he's worked on, whether it's the Sun Kil Moon albums, the Red House Painters albums, but this is special because we get to hear the live product mirror so closely the gorgeous qualities of his studio work. mediafire

No comments: