Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Mazes - Mazes (2009)

This is a pleasant enough indie pop album. It sort of reminds me of Vampire Weekend with the way the guitars sound, they have a high pitched sound complimented by occasional synths and what sounds like a drum machine on some songs and a human drummer on others. The vocals are in the high pitched, semi-melodic variety of many of their contemporaries but I hear a soulful edge to them at times. The two voices harmonize nicely. It's either half-baked or charmingly lo-fi; a little of both for me, but most listeners will likely fall in one category or the other. Favorite songs: "Manual Systems," "Love to Lay," "Face Down or Forest Roads." Am I the only one getting a bit sick of indie bands with plural noun names? mediafire

No comments: