Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Portishead - Dummy (1994)


Believe the hype if you don't already. The thick, layered ambiance and soulful vocals create a pretty sort of melancholic tone. It really commands my attention; I find myself hanging on every word Beth Gibbons sings. I don't really understand where the "trip-hop" label comes from. Nor do I even know what that means. If this is it, then I should find some more. I guess it has something to do with the bass-heavy, beat-oriented backing music. This is more soothing than abrasive. It seems to border on post-rock a bit with the emphasis on atmosphere over immediate gratification, but this doesn't mean it isn't a rewarding listen. It's just beautiful. The electronics add flourishes that give the songs a bit of flavor. I seem to be listening to a lot of gloomy downtempo music these days. Their recent comeback album "Third" is also great, and notably more upbeat and aggressive. megaupload


1. Mysterons (5:02)
2. Sour Times (4:11)
3. Strangers (3:55)
4. It Could Be Sweet (4:16)
5. Wandering Star (4:51)
6. Numb (3:54)
7. Roads (5:02)
8. Pedestal (3:39)
9. Biscuit (5:01)
10. Glory Box (5:06)

No comments: