Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Mum - Sing Along to Songs You Don't Know (2009)


I do not know very much about this band, having not given their past releases much attention. Based on what I knew, I was hoping for something a bit more electronic. However, this album gets by on its combination of creativity and beauty, and after a couple of listens it began to take shape as something special. Many of its moments are both very beautiful and very creative. There are many gorgeous vocal harmonies, on tracks like "Blow Your Nose" and "If I Were a Fish" which also has a very pretty ukelele (I think), and harp (I think), and lap steel guitar (I think). I don't really know what instruments I'm hearing much of the time. It all sort of meshes together into an enchanting mixture of voice, strings, and what sounds like wind instruments. Because it is often difficult to pinpoint exactly what is going on, the album may seem somewhat challenging, but further listens reveal an intimate recording that tries to be more inviting than threatening. It isn't especially chaotic, just a bit unusual, for the better, I might add. "Prophecies & Reversed Memories" is a fun upbeat track, and it might be the most immediately gripping song, while "The Smell of Today is Sweet..." is somehow both a little bit funky and a little bit serene showing them at their most creative. Once the initial impact wears off, these songs start to take shape as very pretty pop songs. This album makes me want to go back to their older stuff. Highly recommended. mediafire


1. If I Were a Fish (4:16)
2. Sing Along (5:39)
3. Prophecies & Reversed Memories (4:06)
4. A River Don't Stop to Breathe (4:45)
5. The Smell of Today is Sweet Like Breastmilk in the Wind (4:47)
6. Show Me (3:45)
7. Hullabbalabbaluu (3:37)
8. Blow Your Nose (4:07)
9. Kay-Ray-Ku-Ku-Ko-Kex (3:57)
10. The Last Shapes of Never (2:27)
11. Illuminated (4:09)
12. Ladies of the New Country (3:45)

No comments: