Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Monday, September 7, 2009

The White Stripes - White Blood Cells (2001)


For the longest time I couldn't stand this band. Maybe it was the way they were simultaneously hyped by mainstream media and self-important hipster types. When I went back to this band post-college, starting with their Icky Thump (2007) album, I found something to love about them--Jack White. His guitar playing is simply phenomenal, intricate, yet powerful, and he is quite versatile. His singing voice is suited to the mellower ballads, songs with a country-western flair, balls-to-the-wall rocking. His guitar playing similarly suits the style of the songs. Now, "White Blood Cells" is one of the trio of albums of theirs that might become my favorite. It certainly has my favorite song of theirs, the single "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground", with gorgously mellow yet melodic verses and a similarly sublime guitar that churns out a hefty bluesy bridge. For the rest of the album he pulls off ballads and rockers with a similar flair for what makes each song work. Whether if be vocal inflections or that specific riff, he delivers on this album. mediafire

1. Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground (3:04)
2. Hotel Yorba (2:10)
3. I'm Finding It Harder to Be a Gentleman (2:54 )
4. Fell in Love with a Girl (1:50)
5. Expecting (2:03)
6. Little Room (0:50)
7. The Union Forever (3:26)
8. The Same Boy You've Always Known (3:09)
9. We're Going to Be Friends (2:22)
10. Offend in Every Way (3:06)
11. I Think I Smell a Rat (2:04)
12. Aluminum (2:19)
13. I Can't Wait (3:38)
14. Now Mary (1:47)
15. I Can Learn (3:31)
16. This Protector (2:12)

No comments: