Click album covers for links. Feel free to share your opinions on these albums and keep in mind that what I write are merely my thoughts and feelings and I do not expect them to be shared.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Low - I Could Live in Hope (1994)


Slowcore is a ridiculous term but is a fairly accurate way to characterize Low. They are defined by the slow tempo of their music and it's what makes their music so great, I think. The songs have a lot of room to breathe and reveal themselves as incredibly beautiful and powerfully emotive. For those unfamiliar, the music is sparse, minimalistic, and echoes throughout; everything about it is very slow and the vocals are pretty but a bit haunting. "I Could Live in Hope" is the band's first album. Their most recend album, their eighth, came out in 2007. Throughout their career, they've released consistently engaging material, some of which has proven a bit experimental--their most recent releases, especially. I don't think this is their best album, and it certainly is not my favorite, but it might be the one that best encompasses their sound and the reasons they're talked about the way they are. mediafire

1. Words (5:45)
2. Fear (2:12)
3. Cut (5:43)
4. Slide (3:46)
5. Lazy (5:35)
6. Lullaby (9:46)
7. Sea (1:45)
8. Down (7:24)
9. Drag (5:11)
10. Rope (6:11)
11. Sunshine (2:59)

No comments: